Intro to Chinese Astrology
There are some legends referring to these animals. According to one of these legends, in about 2000 BC, a semi-mythical Yellow Emperor invited all kinds of animals to a New Years party; he expected many animals but only 12 of them arrived.
These were: the cat, the ox, the tiger, the rabbit, the dragon, the snake, the horse, the goat, the monkey, the rooster, the dog and the pig. Seeing these animals, the emperor decided to name the years to come after each of them as a way to show his appreciation.
Another legend has it that the 12 animals of the Chinese Zodiac were chosen by Buddha. When Buddha was near death he invited all the animals to say goodbye to him. For visiting him, Buddha honored each by using them to represent the 12 phases of the Zodiac.
The signs can be very useful in examining the complexity of your own personality. Once you know your Chinese animal-spirit sign you can find out more information about your inner spiritual qualities. The characteristics are as follows:
- RAT - people under this sign have the ability to carry on and they have the ability to accept whatever happens to them. They are some of the most charming and bravest people and their most important qualities are their persistence, their capacity to adapt to different circumstances; they can work and communicate very fast.
- OX- people born in the year of the ox have personalities with great feelings even though they often keep their emotions to themselves; they are also very reliable persons and one of the hardest workers.
- TIGER - people born under this sign have the spirit of the leader; they are full of energy and are very protective. Their personality is heroic and ferocious but they are also very sensitive
- RABBIT - the main characteristic of people with this sign is their remarkable intelligence; they are very sensitive but with remarkable strength; they often change their emotions and they never waste time.
- DRAGON - people born in the year of the dragon are very lucky and friendly; they have the possibility to accomplish great endeavors.
- SNAKE - these people are very intelligent and sensitive. They are able to enjoy life.
- HORSE - the personality of ones born in the year of the horse is persistent and strong; they are completely devoted to their work and also very friendly, honest, strong and loving.
- SHEEP - these people are great friends because they have the ability to listen; they have great determination, are steady, and they are excellent team members
- MONKEY - these people are very inventive, reliable and highly independent; they have the ability to make friends quickly and are full of energy
- ROOSTER – these people tend to be is artist. They are creative in many areas and love to give advice.
- DOG - these people are very powerful and ready to act. They rarely run away from difficulties and they trust their capabilities; friends appreciate them
- PIG - people born in the year of the Pig have the quality of health but not in the material way. Pig personalities are wealthy in wisdom and in abundant inner energy.
One of the most interesting uses of the Chinese Zodiac is exploring the compatibility of signs.