The 7 Chakras: Life Force Energy
The Chakras represent the seven primary energy hubs in the body. Life force energy is constantly flowing in and out of these centers. Just as the cosmos is constantly changing, so too are the levels of energy absorbed and radiated by our Chakra centers.
Chakra means wheel in Sanskrit. Each chakra has an area of life that its energy affects particularly and each of these centers correlates to major nerve ganglia branching forth from the spinal column. In addition the chakras also correlate to levels of consciousness, archetypal elements, developmental stages of life, colors, sounds, body functions, and much, much more.
Through our Chakras, we transmit and receive physical, emotional, and spiritual energy. The chakras are manifested in one's physical state. Each chakra is associated with a particular area of the body and a color of the spectrum. There are 7 major Chakra centers of the physical body, where vital energy flows and intersects. There are also many many minor chakras. Below is a brief description of each chakra starting from the top of the head down to the base of the spine.
Sahasrara - Crown Chakra: Located at the top of the head
The Crown Chakra represents energies associated with cosmic consciousness, spirituality, knowledge, wisdom and inner peace.
- Associated with: cosmic consciousness, energy, enlightenment, life force energy, perfection, spirituality.
- Governs: top of spinal cord, brain stem, pain center, nerves
- Color: white, purple, golden-white
- Stones: amethyst, apophyllite, chevron amethyst, clear calcite, danburite, diamond, euclase, iolite, clear quartz, herkimer diamond, moonstone, opal, rainbow moonstone, scapolite (purple), selenite, spodumene, white calcite, white topaz
Ajna - Brow or Third Eye Chakra: Located centered above eyebrows, at medulla
The Third Eye Chakra represents energies focused on both physical and spiritual vision. Psychic powers resonate from the Ajna Chakra, as well as your image of the Cosmos as a whole and the many nuances that make your journey unique.
- Associated with: coordination, balance, intuition, light, mental clarity, spiritual awareness, psychic abilities especially clairvoyance, related to the act of seeing, both physically and intuitively, wisdom
- Governs: pituitary gland, pineal gland, skull, eyes, brain, nervous system, the senses
- Color: indigo, violet, purple
- Stones: amazonite, amethyst, apatite, apophyllite, azurite, chevron amethyst, charoite, indicolite, iolite, lapis, picture rock, sapphire, sodalite, spinel (dark blue), sugilite
Vishuddha - Throat Chakra: Located at the neck above collar bone
The Throat Chakra is the energy center associated with communication and creativity. Your energy to express yourself verbally and creatively are derived from the Vishuddha Chakra.
- Associated with: communication, truthfulness,expression of will
- power and creativity, divine guidance
- Governs: throat, thyroid, mouth, teeth, tongue, jaw.
- Color: blue or turquoise
- Stones: angelite, amazonite, aqua aura, aquamarine, blue calcite, blue lace agate, blue tigers eye, blue topaz, dumortierite (blue quartz), euclase (stimulates), jade, kyanite, lapis, malachite, opal, blue smithsonite, sodalite, turquoise
Anahata - Heart Chakra: Located in the center of the chest
The Heart Chakra’s energy is concentrated on issues concerning your emotions. This energy fuels your power to love, feel compassion and maintain balance between disparate aspects of your being.
- Associated with: love, unconditional love, compassion, universal conscoiusness, emotional balance, emotions
- Governs: heart, lungs, blood and circulation
- Color: green and/or pink
- Stones: actinolite, cuprite (balances heart chakra with root chakra), diopside, dioptase, emerald, fluorite, green apatite, green aventurine,
- green calcite, grossular garnet, euclase, jade, kunzite (spodumene) malachite, moldavite, moss agate, nephrite, pink manganocalcite, peridot, pink optical calcite, prase, rose quartz, rubellite, tourmaline (especially watermelon), variscite, zoisite
Manipura - Solar Plexus Chakra: Located at solar plexas, below breastbone
The Power Chakra provides the energy that fuels our strength of will, individuality and sense of self-worth.
- Associated with: intellect, personal power, strength, sense of self-worth
- protective, ambition
- Governs: stomach, upper intestines, upper back, upper spine
- Color: Yellow
- Stones: amber, andalusite, chrysoberyl, citrine, golden calcite, honey calcite, rutilated quartz, yellow-brown scapolite, sphalerite, sphene, sulphur, sunstone, topaz, yellow aragonite, yellow calcite, yellow carnelian, yellow jasper, yellow sapphire
Svadhisthana - Spleen or Sacral Chakra: Located below the navel
The Spleen or Sacral Chakra supplies the energy we use emotionally and sexually. This is the energy used to connect to others.
- Associated with: emotional balance, passion, creativity, abundance, freedom, personal expression, sexuality and reproduction, healing
- desire, intuition
- Governs: sexual organs, bladder, bowel and lower intestine
- Color: orange, blue-green
- Stones: amber, carnelian, crocoite, fire opal, fluorite, golden beryl (heliodor), honey calcite, orange calcite, orange spinel, paraparadsha sapphire, peach aventurine, sheelite, sunstone, turquoise, vandinite
Muladhara - The Root or Base Chakra: Located at the base of the spine
The Root or Base Chakra furnishes the energy used to create and maintain our foundation. This is the energy that keeps us on firm ground and provides us with the basic skills to uphold a place in the world.
- Associated with: connection to the Earth, groundedness, survival, physical energy and needs, security and stability.
- Governs: back, feet, hips spine, legs
- Color: red or black
- Stones: black obsidian, black onyx, black tourmaline, bloodstone, brecciated jasper, carnelian, cuprite, red garnet, hematite, leopardskin jasper, red calcite, red coral, red spinel, ruby, ruby aura quartz, smoky quartz, thulite, tourmaline (rubellite), red zircon